UPDATE: Some artists are reporting issues with registering for the art show using our online submission. If you are not able to log in and complete the information online, were are making PDF forms available that you can fill out instead. Click HERE to jump to the forms and instructions.
The DemiCon art show is open to all interested artists, both professional and amateur. The art show allows artists to share their work with our attendees. We promote Fantasy and Science Fiction art by helping artists to display and sell their work.
In the Art Show Main Display area we show original works of art, 3-dimensional art, and single copies of prints of original art. Unless an art piece is marked “NFS – Not For Sale”, our convention attendees may bid on, or buy via quick sale, any pieces in this area. Attendees will also be able to vote for the show’s best amateur artist, professional artist, amateur art piece, and professional piece of art.
The Print Shop area will contain pieces for immediate sale. Pieces in the Print Shop are usually prints or reproductions of published artwork (book covers or magazine illustrations).
The Artist Workspace is open to attending artists, who wish to work at the convention, perform demonstrations, and create works of art to auction for charity, share ideas with other artists and anything else that they wish to do. This will be located outside the Art Show itself.
*IMPORTANT FOR REGISTRATION*
Artists will be able to fill out the necessary paper work online. We ask that all artists please print 2 copies of paper work, one for your records and one to send with your artwork.
Attendees will be able to and make quick sale purchases and to bid on pieces in the Display area and purchase print shop pieces during the normal art show hours.
TYPE OF ART ACCEPTED
- All art work should be science fiction, fantasy, gaming or fannish in nature; we reserve the right to refuse any artwork that does not meet our guidelines. Works may be original artwork or prints, but they must be entirely the work of the artist whose name appears on the pieces. Resales, hand-colored copies of commercially available art, and similar copyright violations, will not be accepted.
- Pieces must be ready to display. We will not assemble frames, mount jewelry, etc.
- While all possible care will be taken with your art, DemiCon cannot be held responsible for any damage incurred.
MAIN DISPLAY AREA
- Any item available for auction sale or Not for Sale will be in the Main Display Area. Only one copy of a work will be accepted in this area. Any extra copies will be placed into the Print Shop.
- We do not require artists to reserve display panels in advance, although we would not object if an attending artist wished to give us a “heads up”. We will display up to 25 pieces of your artwork.
- Any item intended for non-auction sale will be placed in the Print Shop. You may wish to consider submitting an extra copy of each print shop item for inclusion in the display but note that these copies would then be subject to the normal Main Display hanging fees. You may submit as many items to Print Shop as you wish, but we suggest that you consider submitting no more than five copies of any one piece.
UNSOLD MAIL-IN ARTWORK
- You must include sufficient funds for return postage. If you don’t, your artwork will be shipped back C.O.D.
- If possible, include payment for both shipping and hanging fees in one check (we can figure it out). Your check should be placed in an envelope with the control and bid sheets and packed in the same box as the artwork.
- We will return your art to you in the same box received, so make sure it (the box) is sturdy and reusable. If your box is not sturdy enough the shipping company may require purchasing of a better box. If all your art is sold, we will not return your box, unless you request otherwise.
- Art will be returned via UPS. Requests to send art via another service (such as U.S. Mail) will be accepted, but may result in a delay in return shipment after the convention.
- To speed up your return of Artwork include a prepaid shipping label.
- When returning your art, if you want us to insure your work for more than $100, please include a note telling us the insurance amount needed, and include funds to cover it.
FEES and PAYMENTS
- To offset the costs of running the art show, we charge fees for the display and sale of your work. In order to offset the cost of starvation, we try hard to sell your work and to pay you as quickly as possible.
- Each piece entered into the Main Display area is charged a hanging fee of $0.50 if delivered in person, or $0.75 if mailed in. No hanging fee is charged for pieces submitted to the Print Shop.
- Commission fees are: Main Display area sales, 10%; Print Shop sales, 15%.
- Unless we receive specific instructions to the contrary, all payments will be made directly to the artist. If payment is to be rendered to another person, such as an agent, we must receive a release form signed by the artist.
- For artists attending the convention, payment will be available after noon, on Sunday. In order to receive full payment, all sold pieces must be picked up and paid for by the time the artist checks out. If you elect to accept partial payment, the balance will be sent to you when we pay the Mail-In artists.
- Payments to Mail-In artists will be sent no later than two weeks after the convention.
MAIL-IN ART SUBMISSION DEADLINES
- As our computerized accounting system requires extra “up front” time to adequately process mail-in art, mailed art must arrive by APRIL 15, 2016. It is this system which allows us to provide prompt payment during and after the convention.
- If you cannot make the APRIL 15, 2016 deadline, you must email in advance to see what other arrangements can be made. Unless you have arranged for an extension, art arriving after APRIL 15, 2016 will be refused.
- When you send in an early entry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your confirmation and tracking information, so we will know when to expect it. Additionally, please put “Attn: Art Show” in the subject line of your email. This will help find your email and address it faster. Once your package is received we will email you a confirmation that it has arrived. If you have any further questions, please let us know! We look forward to seeing you and some great examples of your work at DemiCon 27!
ARTWORK MAILING ADDRESS
Packages must be received by APRIL 15, 2016. As the post office refuses packages sent to PO boxes, be sure that you send your mail-in art to the following address:
Demicon Art Show
3400 64th St
Urbandale, IA 50322
HOW TO DO YOUR ART SHOW SUBMISSION FORMS ONLINE
All Mail In and Walk In Artists must complete the following steps to submit art to DemiCon’s Artshow. If you use Internet Explorer this will not work. Contact the art show directly at email@example.com.
- Click on the following link http://mycroft.dmsfs.org/
- Create a user name and password
- This is a slight wait as you are given permission. Click to log in with your user name and password. (There will be an email sent to you with your information for your files)
- Click the “Artist: Enter your Artwork”.
- Follow directions located on the left hand side of the screen. To print forms you will need Adobe Reader. A link will be available in the database on the left side when you print your forms to upload Adobe Reader.
ALTERNATE REGISTRATION BY EMAIL
Please download the forms below and then email them back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For your convenience there are two versions of the forms available to you. One version can be printed, scanned and emailed back. The other version is fillable. If using the fillable forms, simply type you information into the fields, save your changes, and email them back.
If you need Adobe Reader you can download it for free at https://get.adobe.com/reader/.
Here is an example of what your Art Show Bid Sheet should look like when you are done: