DemiCon Department Heads are working on an online version of DemiCon with interactive elements as well as video items.
One of these areas is the DemiCon Channel which is normally shown during DemiCon. DMSFFS will be taking it to YouTube for this event and making a channel there much like Netflix or Hulu.
This is where you, our attendees, can help out. We are inviting you to participate by sending in a video for use by DMSFFS on the DemiCon Channel. By doing so, you are giving DMSFFS permission to post it on the YouTube DemiCon Channel as well as possibly use for other DMSFFS and DemiCon purposes in the future.
- Video needs to be G, PG, or PG-13
- Videos length – at most 30 minutes, if longer please contact the DemiCon Channel to discuss.
- If you use music, you need to have performance permission for online use for your music or you can also find free music at: https://creativecommons.org/about/program-areas/arts-culture/arts-culture-resources/legalmusicforvideos/
giving credit to the musician(s) involved.
- Keep entries something that would be at DemiCon so something that supports literacy, science and/or the arts. If you have a science fiction, fantasy or gaming theme that includes villains- even better but not required.
- Be creative and have fun. Remember Social Distancing please. If you have ten people or more together on the video at once- the DemiCon Channel will not use it.
- No sponsored products or commercial advertising unless a pro guest or artist and that particular pro guest or artist is advertising their own work.
- Include your name, name of the panel and also the names of any people connected to the production of the video.
- Please also note if the video or program is directly intended to be viewed by children. YouTube now has specific rules regarding this type of programming so someone from the DemiCon channel might contact you with further questions.
- The due date for all videos unless noted is Saturday, April 25, 2020.
- The DemiCon Channel producer and video production staff have the right to edit or not use a video if the guidelines are not met.
- Additionally front titles and end titles may be added to the video along with a possible introduction. The video may be edited for material or length but you will be contacted if that sort of change needs to be made.
Format for the DemiCon Channel (DC31) YouTube:
- Prefer .mov or .mp4 formats.
- Can be 4:3 or 16:9.
- Can be HD 1080/60i or SD 480/60i or variations on that.
- Standard audio formats and bit rate.
If you don’t understand the above format- you can record with a phone or tablet and it should be fine. Shoot in a landscape style (and not vertically) as that is the style which is normally shown on YouTube. DemiCon Channel production staff will add title and credits to the video (if they are not already present) so let us know what you would like those to be.
Prefer upload your video via WeTransfer (app or wetransfer.com) and share it with firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com but the DemiCon Channel staff (Joe) can also download from most cloud servers like dropbox.com and icloud. Again just send a link to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
If you are an author -the DemiCon Channel invites you to read a section of your book and then talk about your process. Let your audience know where you can purchase your books at the end of the video.
Some of you have the capabilities of showing what you draw/create and how you do it. Please video yourself as you are doing your artsy endeavor. Also add where people can purchase your artwork at the end of the video if you would like to do so.
The DemiCon Channel invites you to play your favorite games and talk about why you love them. Or even do game show and tell. There are a lot of great games out there and this would be a terrific way to let other SF&F fans know about them. Share your love!
Could your panel be done as a video? If so, please record your panel and send it in.
The people connected with DemiCon know a lot of you have completed or almost finished costumes for DemiCon and the DemiCon Channel staff wants you to show them off in a virtual cosplay. Send picture(s)/images or a short 10-15 second video of you in your costume. Due date is Thursday, April 30, 2020. This gives you a little bit more time than most of the other video submissions for the DemiCon channel. The people connected with DemiCon know how costumers sometimes like to do things at the last minute.
Share an Evil Villain Laugh:
You all have one. Really. Send us a video of your evil villain laugh and the DemiCon Channel staff will put a montage together.
We invite you to make creative 10 to 15 second videos that are villain themed. It may be used for a montage, filler or interstitials between shows.
Ideas on things to say or do:
- Welcome to DemiCon Channel! It’s refreshing to walk around the virtual world …
- Isn’t it nice that the Joker gave us time off of work.
- Okay, which villain did this?
- Emergency announcement for social distancing and what to do to survive a villain attack.
- Things to do from home when you are bored.
- How do you practice social distancing?
Also if you have green screen capabilities – the DemiCon production staff can play with that as well though mention what you might want as a background. (We can not do this unless you video yourself on green screen or use green fabric so we edited it with a back ground.)
If you have other ideas for the DemiCon Channel, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. The DemiCon Channel producer and video production staff might have it already or the space may be open just for you.