DemiCon is an interactive adventure with all sorts of amazing ways to
be involved. Check out some of the program areas we have available and
view the programming grid.
If you like what you see please remember that a con does not run
itself. With your help we can make it the best weekend ever for sci-fi,
fantasy, and gaming fans in Iowa. You can volunteer, run your own panel,
The deadline to sign-up to run your own panel is March 15, 2021. We will accept submissions after March 15, but we will not be able to guarantee fitting you on the schedule.
If you would like to run a panel, workshop, or some other programming at DemiCon 32 please complete our programming form:
Submit a Panel, Workshop or other Programming
To submit gaming sessions in the Gaming Rooms please complete our gaming form:
Submit Gaming Programming
Sometimes we have panels or programming that needs additional panelists. Are you interested in sitting on a panel but don’t want to plan it yourself? If so use the below form to let us know what types of panels you would be interested in helping with.
Volunteer to sit on a Panel
If you have any questions or need to make any changes, please contact email@example.com (for gaming contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
DemiCon typically hosts a wide range of contests to suit many interests. All are welcome to participate.
Helping out with the DemiCon Channel
Want to help out to make DemiCon even more special? Create a video and sent it to Joe, the Channel master. Details and video format are listed below as well as some creative ideas for your videos.
Here are the Channel Master Guidelines –
- Video needs to be G, PG, or PG-13
- Videos length – content that is 30 minutes or less (this will get you close to the 2GB or 4 GB limit) This is not necessarily true for music.
- If you use music, you need to have performance permission for online use for your music or you can also find free music at: https://creativecommons.org/about/program-areas/arts-culture/arts-culture-resources/legalmusicforvideos/ giving credit to the musician(s) involved. If you use copywriter music the channel master has the right to scrub that music and add public domain music.
- Keep entries something that would be at DemiCon so something that supports literacy, science and/or the arts. If you have a science fiction, fantasy or gaming theme that includes any thing Super Manga Graphic Novels Comics Animation – even better but not required.
- Be creative and have fun. Remember Social Distancing please. If you have ten people or more together on the video at once with no masks – the DemiCon Channel will not use it.
- No sponsored products or commercial advertising unless a pro guest or artist and that particular pro guest or artist is advertising their own work.
- Include your name, name of the panel and also the names of any people connected to the production of the video.
- Please also note if the video or program is directly intended to be viewed by children. YouTube now has specific rules regarding this type of programming so someone from the DemiCon channel might contact you with further questions.
- The due date for all videos unless noted is Saturday, April 23, 2021.
- The DemiCon Channel producer and video production staff have the right to edit or not use a video if the guidelines are not met.
- Additionally front titles and end titles may be added to the video along with a possible introduction. The video may be edited for material or length but you will be contacted if that sort of change needs to be made.
- Do not send links to videos – the Channel Master needs the actual video.
- Do not send the Channel Master something that is already on YouTube.
- Repeat one more time – stay away from copyrighted music.
Format for the DemiCon Channel (DC31) YouTube:
- Prefer .mp4 formats.
- Can be 4:3 or 16:9.
- Can be HD 1080/60i or SD 480/60i or variations on that.
- Standard audio formats and bit rate.
If you don’t understand the above format- you can record with a phone or tablet and it should be fine. Shoot in a landscape style (and not vertically) as that is the style which is normally shown on YouTube. DemiCon Channel production staff will add title and credits to the video (if they are not already present) so let us know what you would like those to be.
Prefer upload your video via WeTransfer (app or wetransfer.com) and share it with email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org but the DemiCon Channel staff (Joe) can also download from most cloud servers like dropbox.com. Again just send a link to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. DemiCon Channel staff can not accept direct video from an email as it bounces.
- If you are an author -the DemiCon Channel invites you to read a section of your book and then talk about your process. Let your audience know where you can purchase your books at the end of the video.
- Some of you have the capabilities of showing what you draw/create and how you do it. Please video yourself as you are doing your artsy endeavor. Also add where people can purchase your artwork at the end of the video if you would like to do so.
- Gamers – the DemiCon Channel invites you to play your favorite games and talk about why you love them. Or even do game show and tell. There are a lot of great games out there and this would be a terrific way to let other SF&F fans know about them. Share your love!
- Could your panel be done as a video? If so, please record your panel and send it in.
- The masquerade department head has four opportunities to shine. See above article.
Share your favorite line or act out your favorite section with the DemiCon theme of Super Manga, Graphic Novels, Comics, Animation in mind. Ginkies!
- You all have a favorite. We know you do. Send us a video and the DemiCon Channel staff will put a montage together.
- We invite you to make creative 10 to 15 second videos that are Super Manga Graphic Novels Comics Animation theme. It may be used for a montage, filler or interstitials between shows.
- Ideas on things to say or do:
- Welcome to DemiCon Channel
- It’s refreshing to walk around the virtual world …
- “And I Would’ve Gotten Away With It Too. If It Weren’t For You Meddling Kids.”
- Emergency announcement for social distancing and what to do to survive a monster attack.
- Things to do from home when you are bored.
- How do you practice social distancing?
- Things to do when Godzilla attacks your city.
- Counter parts in real life to animated cartoons.
- Announcements or requests for the DJ at the Karaoke/Announcements booth of the Osaka Cartoon Prefectural High School and Light Entertainment Center
If you have other ideas for the DemiCon Channel, please contact email@example.com and let us know. The DemiCon Channel producer and video production staff might have it already or the space may be open just for you.
Got Filk? What is Filk?
Filk is usually associated with music parodies (á la Weird Al). Most of what we call “filk” consists of parodies, SCA songs, folk or Celtic songs, silly songs, or whatever songs people want to share. Really narrows it down, doesn’t it? We have plenty of filking at DemiCon, mostly run in a “bardic circle” format. In this format, everyone gets a turn to choose singing a song yourself, picking a tune for the group to sing, or passing your turn. This way, everyone gets to participate! In addition, we’ll be having interactive fun and panels with filk!
Cartoon Chaos Conundrum!
A bear is about to steal a pic-a-nic basket, a blue-and-yellow van pulls up to a haunted house, the big game starts at monster High School and then Crikey— we’re all next to Skull Castle? And is that Mifune Motors behind those kids with the monkey? Why is that truck asking about Energon?
A LARP is a live-action roleplay where you get to pretend to be someone else for a while- it can actually be quite fun and relaxing. Sort of like dressing up for Halloween but without the costume. This LARP will be done via zoom so a location, area or map will be described or shown to you and your group will get to interact with the environment or other players to solve a puzzle or to compete in an event.
In this particular LARP you’ll solve the mystery of what or how or maybe even why these cartoon characters were all brought together to the same place at the same point in time. Find your way back to your own cartoon, or make friends and find a better cartoon in which in inhabit. But first you’ll have to survive – what is waiting for you out there? Rocket Team’s cat? A hunter with a lisp? An attack by Vulture Squadron?
This is a wacky cartoon oriented LARP where characters will have to work to solve puzzles and to survive on to the next challenge. So register in advance for the Cartoon Chaos and join toons for a fun, mixed world adventure where you will never be sure what is going to happen next.
Self-Run programming will be back!!! It is easy, fun, and can be done at your own pace.
You choose how much time you wish to take and what you do. Just follow the activity’s directions, and away you go. Check back here during DemiCon to find links to this year’s activities.
DemiCon 32 will have:
- Anime Coloring
- DemiCon 32 Origami Bookmarks
- Create your Anime Avatar
- DemiCon 32 Step Challenge
TICC is an eclectic collection of science fiction fans that enjoy
parodying science fiction literature, TV shows, movies, and fandom in
general. Originally formed in Iowa City in 1980, its first performance,
at ICON VI in 1981, was entitled “Smart Trek.” Over the years, the
troupe has grown, with both a Western company, based in Des Moines, and
an Eastern company, based in Iowa City. Over 170 actors, two stuffed
fish, and an inflatable doll have participated in more than 65
performances at science fiction conventions. They celebrated their 100th
show at DemiCon 29.